Cooking Recipes and Tips
Jaindl Thanksgiving Turkey
How to Cook a Jaindl Turkey
Jaindl turkeys have 55% less fat and 25% less calories than other raw turkey, as determined by the U.S.D.A. Because they have 55% less fat, our turkeys are confirmed to be “Lite” by the U.S.D.A.
This claim is new, but the “Lite” turkey is not. We have grown a lean “Lite” turkey for over 30 years. The evolution of the “Lite” turkey is strictly through genetics, not as the result of any changes in the turkey’s diet, as often thought.
Read below for our recommended cooking instructions:
If turkey is frozen – be sure the turkey is fully thawed prior to placing in the oven! A frozen turkey may be defrosted by placing it (keeping in the airtight bag) in your refrigerator for 4 to 7 days depending on the size.
- Test your oven temperature. We find that many ovens are off as much as 100o F. The ovens may be checked by using a hanging “oven thermometer”. Place the thermometer in the oven, set the oven for 325oF. Once the oven has indicated that preheating is complete, check the thermometer. If the thermometer temperature does not show approximately 325oF, we suggest your oven be re-calibrated.
- Checking oven temperatures is equally important for gas and electric ovens. It is also important no matter how new your oven is, especially if it is a self-cleaning oven, that it be checked for correct calibration.
- There is a limited amount of fat under and within the skin of the turkey, therefore, the Jaindl Grand Champion Brand turkey cooks in less time than most other birds.
- The Jaindl Grand Champion Brand turkey should take approximately 13-15 minutes per pound to roast, as compared to most other birds taking up to 20 minutes per pound.
- It is very important not to over roast, as this may produce a potentially dry meal.
- We have inserted a cooking device that has proved to be very accurate. If the device does not activate within 1/2 hour from scheduled roasting time, remove turkey from oven and check for doneness.
- Our Quality Control Staff has spent many hours perfecting our roasting instructions which are located on the back of the turkey bag, We strongly recommend to our customers to follow these instructions, as our turkeys generally roast in less time than the average turkey.
Here's How to Reach Us
We love meeting new people and growing the network of our ever-expanding community. Please let us know how we can be of service to you.Contact Us