Better Quality of Living
Humanely Raised Turkeys
The Intention for Raising Healthier Turkeys
Ensuring a healthful quality of life for our turkeys is a non-negotiable way of doing business at Jaindl. And, it's not because it's good for the health of our product — it's the right way to care for animals, responsibly and humanely.
As far as our industry is concerned, food safety and animal welfare are the golden rules. We do what best for others and only just that. Likewise, many of our purveyors require similarly strict adherence to these standards.
Safeguarding Our Turkeys
The cornerstone of our humane farming operations is our enduring network of barns. Designed to be sturdy and efficient, our first barns were hand-built in the late 1960s by the Jaindl family. Though construction methods have changed, we continue building new barns each year.
Our building design implements the use of wire mesh components, which let through natural sunlight and provide much needed vitamin D for our turkeys.
Inside Our Barns
The living quarters of our barns are strawed and bedded every 10 to 12 days. Aside from providing clean housing, this routine promotes the long-term health of our turkeys because straw absorbs moisture and suppresses bacteria growth. Further ensuring health controls, we grow and process all straw used in our barns on-site.
The Role of Enrichments
Providing stimulation and activity for our turkeys plays an important role in their well-being. We supply various types of enrichments (toys) for the turkeys inside the barns, which promote interaction and motion throughout the day. These enrichments consist of ramps, standing pallets, and even xylophones.
Audits, Scores, and Results
Proof We're Making a Difference
We don't just talk about it, we back it up with action. Here's proof we're doing farming right:
- Jaindl Farms routinely receives perfect scores in Animal Welfare Audits required by the US Department of Agriculture
- Recently received an “Excellent” score on the Safe Quality Food (SQF) audit, a private third-party certification
- The Humane Society of the United States endorsed Jaindl turkey products, citing our humane pre-processing and raising methods, following a tour of our facility
- Jaindl annually meets and exceeds animal welfare standards through third party animal welfare audits
- Our farm meets and exceeds standards set by the National Turkey Federation each year
The results continually prove our humane processes provide for the well-being of our turkeys from hatching to processing. We don't settle for anything less.
Here's How to Reach Us
We love meeting new people and growing the network of our ever-expanding community. Please let us know how we can be of service to you.Contact Us